- Poster presentation
- Open Access
Coping strategies by the nurse personnel facing the occupational stress
© The Author(s) 2006
- Published: 28 February 2006
- Social Support
- Coping Strategy
- Nursing Staff
- High Extent
- Action Strategy
The present research project aims to examine the coping strategies used by the nursing staff working in nursing institutions of Athens and Patras (Greece).
In this research took part 160 participants recruited from the Greek nursing staff, between 2 cities, aged from 22 to 58 years of age. The sample was taken in random order. The questionnaire, which was administrated in the filling in an anonym way to the 160 nurses, was the Toulouse Scale about coping, which was created from Tap, Esparbes, and Sordes in 1993.
Statistical analysis of the data revealed that the 87% of questioned nurses uses in middle extent action strategies, the 80% uses information strategies, and the 75% uses emotional strategies. It also positive that the 57.5% uses in high extent and the 40.62% in the middle extent positive coping strategies. Negative coping strategies are used in the middle extent from the 82.5% of the nursing staff.
While the occupational stress is particularly increased in the health services, from the analysis we managed to see that nursing stuff are using a variety of strategies, such as focus (89.37%), the social support (78.75%), the withdrawal (30.62%), the diversion (83.75%), and denial (72.5%). Its seams positive that the crushing majority of the participants are able to have the occupational stress under control. However, there are statistically differences in accordance with sex, the place of residence and the educational standard.
- Tap P: Identite individuelle et personnalisation. Toulouse, Privat. 1986Google Scholar
- Tap P, Esparbes S, Sordes-Ader F: Presentation de l' echelle de coping, in les strategie de coping. Journees du labo St. Criq. 1993, 89-107.Google Scholar
- Tap P: Socialisation et constryction de l' indentite personnel. La socialisation de l'enfance a l adolescence. Edited by: Malewska-Peyre. 1991, Paris: P.U.F, 49-73.Google Scholar
- Tap P, Esparbes S, Sordes-Ader F: Strategies de coping et Personnalalisation. Psychologie. 1995Google Scholar