- Poster presentation
- Open Access
Coping strategies of Greek students
© The Author(s) 2006
- Published: 28 February 2006
- Social Support
- Coping Strategy
- Random Order
- Educational System
- High Extent
The present research project aims to examine the coping strategies used by Greek students in five cities of Greece, and different educational systems [Universities (AEI), Technological institutes (ATEI), institutions of occupational formation (IEK)].
In this research took part 990 participants recruited from the Greek educational system, among 5 cities of Greece (Athens, Patras, Volos, Larisa, and Kozani), aged from 17 to 25 years of age. The sample was taken in random order. The questionnaire, which was administrated to the 990 students, was the Toulouse Scale about coping, which was created from Tap, Espabes, and Sordes in 1993.
Statistical analysis of the data revealed that the 99.50% of questioned students uses in middle extent action strategies, the 95.90% uses information strategies, and the 95.2% uses emotional strategies. It also positive that the 1.9% uses in high extent and the 94.8% in the middle extent positive strategies. Negative coping strategies are used in the middle extent from the 95.9% of students.
While the occupational stress is particularly increased in Universities, from the analysis we managed to see that students are using a variety of strategies, such as focus (94.7%), the social support (94.7%), withdrawal in low extent (1.2%), diversion in middle extent (95.1%), controle (96.1%), and denial (94.8%). Its seams positive, that crushing majority of the participants are able to have stress under control. However, there are statistically differences in accordance with sex, age and the studying school. The counseling probabilities were also discussed.
- Tap P, Esparbes P, Sordes-Ader F: Stratégies de coping et Personnalisation. Psychologie. 1995Google Scholar
- Lazarus RS, Folkman S: Stress, Appraisal and coping. 1984, New York: SpringerGoogle Scholar
- Lazarus RS, Folkman P: The concept of coping. 1991, New York: Columbia University Press, 3Google Scholar
- Tap P, Esparbes P, Sordes-Ader F: Presentation l echelle de coping. Les strategie de coping. Journees du labo St. Criq. 1993, 89-107.Google Scholar